The Kensington Grove Homeowners Association’s (HOA’s) desire is to maintain and improve the value and appeal of our community. Therefore, the HOA supports homeowners wishing to improve their property, the specifications of which are governed by the Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions.
Most property improvement projects require the approval of the HOA whose duties include ensuring the projects conform with the covenants and restrictions. The HOA may, at its discretion, grant exceptions depending on individual circumstances.
To assist homeowners in obtaining an approval of their improvement project, the HOA Board offers the following advice:
- The application and security deposit must be completed and submitted by the homeowner. Applications and checks submitted by a contractor are not acceptable.
- Plan scaled drawings showing orientation on the property plot plan must be included.
- Homeowners should also include photos, elevation drawings of planned structure design (e.g., pergola, fence style, covered porch) as necessary to clearly detail the plan.
- Be sure to include building exterior material and paint/stain specifications, such as color, where applicable.
- If the project includes a fire pit, know that wood burning fire pits are not permitted.
- It is important to indicate drainage plans, if applicable to the project. The Board often requires an assessment of whether neighboring properties might be affected by the project.
- Some projects (e.g., swimming pools) may require a Building Permit.
- Many projects require a refundable security deposit in an amount corresponding to the project as indicated in the application.
To file a property improvement approval request:
- Fill out the request form by computer or manually by downloading the KG HOA Property Improvement Request Application and sign it.
- Attach supporting documentation.
- Write a check to Kensington Grove HOA in the amount of the required security deposit, depending on the type of project.
- Submit the documents and security deposit:
- Mail it to KG HOA Board, P.O. Box 251, Bargersville, IN 46106; or,
- Deliver it in person at one of the monthly Board Meetings (check the Community Calendar for dates and times); or,
- Deliver it in person to a Board member; or,
- Submit an electronic/scanned copy via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and separately mail or hand deliver the security deposit.
- After the Board has confirmed all required documentation has been provided, the request will be queued for review. Generally, applications are reviewed within one or two weeks, if there are no follow-up questions.
- After the project is approved by the Board and upon completion of the project, depending on the nature of your project, a Board member may perform an inspection of the work.
- When the completed project is deemed satisfactory, a refund of the security deposit will be sent to the homeowner. The homeowner must inform the Board that the project has been completed.